A FUN children's ditty about a kookaburra and an electric wire, that no doubt we've all sung at one time or another, came true on Sunday for members of the Cambewarra Rural Fire Brigade.
Cambewarra RFS crews responded to reports of a fire on Pestells Lane, Meroo Meadow.
On approach two of the brigade's tankers reported smoke was visible from the Princes Highway behind a construction compound, under a power pole.
Crews quickly extinguished the small grass fire and on investigation found a kookaburra had come into contact with the power lines and had fallen to the ground causing the grass to ignite.
While badly burnt the bird was alive and alert.
On returning to the station the injured bird was dropped off at Wildlife Rescue South Coast Inc.