Gumnut Patisserie’s success is seemingly never-ending.
The Highlands business has again celebrated success at the Sydney Royal Easter Show.
In 2017, Gumnut cleaned up with 37 medals including two champion ribbons.
Gumnut won Champion Pastry of the Show 2017 and Samantha Trotter was awarded Best Apprentice/Student Exhibit of the Show 2017.
Of the 37 medals, eight were gold, 19 were silver and 10 were bronze.
It was the salted caramel tart which won the champion pastry and Gumnut kitchen manager Yasmin Soulsby said were one of their bestsellers.
The tart will also be served at the lunch for the championship winners on April 18.
“Being a tart we can prepare the filling beforehand so it’s not as dramatic as some of the other desserts we do,” Yasmin said.
“We’ll prepare the filling and finish them on the morning of and drive them up there.”
Gumnut has enjoyed plenty of success at shows throughout the years and Yasmin said they always entered a range of new products along with those sold in store.
“We always enter in the show new products, new gateau, come up with some new cakes and if they do well we’ll put them into the shop.”
Judging for the Sydney Royal Easter Show is done on a points system.
There is no limit to the amount of medals which can be handed out in each section – gold, silver and bronze.
Apprentice Josh Nickl said the marking criteria had recently changed so less champion ribbons were handed out.
So what is the secret to Gumnut’s continued success?
“Passion,” Yasmin said.
“We’re all very passionate about what we do. We use fresh ingredients and we just keep updating our skills and knowledge. We’re always wanting to better what we’ve done before and not let the ball drop.”
Gumnut chefs and apprentices often attend demonstrations in order to keep on top of the latest trends and techniques.
Shows and competitions are another way pastry chefs are able to improve their skills.
“It gives the apprentices a chance to have a go at something new. Most of the competitions we go in have apprentice classes and open classes,” Yasmin said.
“So we encourage all the apprentices to go in the apprentice classes so they can learn new skills. Once they’ve mastered that, they can do them all the time in the kitchen and in the workplace.”
Gumnut recently took part in the Newcastle Baking Show and the next competition will be in Wollongong later this year.
Gumnut Patisserie Sydney Royal Easter Show awards:
- Salter caramel tart (champion pastry of the show 2017)
- Salted caramel filled mud cake
- Chocolate brownie
- Lemon tarlet
- Fruit Tartlet
- Chicken and leek pie
- Lamb and rosemary cutlet pie
- Blueberry and custard brioche/Raspberry croissants/Vanilla slice (Samantha Trotter- best apprentice/student exhibit of the show 2017)
- Glazed mud cake
- Mud cake
- Christmas Cake
- Caramel Slice
- Passionfruit Chiboust
- Sweet potato and pesto quiche
- Spinach and feta quiche
- Sausage roll foldover
- Sausage roll
- Danish fruit flower
- Meat pie
- Latte eclair
- Hazelnut eclair
- Chocolate eclair
- Jaffa bomb/Raspberry choc mousse (apprentice Josh Nickl- petit fours)
- Salted caramel biscuit, Swiss croquette, Anzac (apprentice Josh Nickl- sweet individual biscuits)
- Pistacho creme patisserie and fresh fig, Hazelnut and salted caramel cruffin, Creme patisserie and Cranberry snail (apprentice Josh Nickl- individual viennoiserie portions)
- Turkish delight, coconut and white choc, hazelnut meringue (apprentice Samantha Pullinger- petit fours)
- Raspberry Clafoutis
- Roasted turkey, cranberry relish and roasted pistachio quiche
- Lamb and spicy relish sausage roll
- Jaffa bomb
- Breton sable base with fresh seasonal fruit
- Glazed fruit snail
- Traditional vanilla slice
- Rosemary and parmesan shortbread/Sundried tomato and poppy seed/Caramalised onion biscuits (apprentice Samantha Trotter- savoury individual biscuits)
- Salted caramel/Coffee biscuits/Almond shortbread biscuits (apprentice Jason Bromley- sweet individual biscuits)
- Peach and cream danish/Roast macadamia nut danish/Berry danish (apprentice Nickolas Perrine- individual viennoiserie portion)