How are you feeling about the sports lock down due to coronavirus?
Devastated and miss the social contacting and also the mental stimulation, but let us look positive to the future.
- Player profile: Lawn bowler Mick Armstrong sharpens mind with gardening, board games during COVID-19 restrictions
- Lawn bowlers roll up for practise under eased COVID-19 restrictions at the Bowral Bowling Club
- Lawn bowler Mick Spong keeps practice through COVID-19 restrictions to ensure 'razor sharp' game
How are you staying fit and healthy with this time off?
Busy in my green keeping business and it's also given me time to renovate my own back lawn.
What do you miss and can't wait to do next when playing?
Competing actively and socialising.
Who is/was your favourite athlete growing up and how did they shape you as a sports person?
Steve Waugh through how to approach sport and he was always well structured when going into a game and a good leader.
As most of 2020 may be cancelled what do you hope to get out of the rest of the season if your sport returns, if not what are you looking to accomplish next season?
I will aim to fine tune my game through practice and win club championships. Also prepare for 2021 pennant season, as to me representing your club in pennants is the pinnacle of lawn bowls.
Best all time bowler?
Over your playing career what have been your highlights?
- Representing zone 5 and zone 6 and also zone 16 Illawarra.
- Selected in trial game country verse country for selection to play against city and that match led to selection in NSW side. So close: selected but could not play owing to work commitments.
- Winning number one pennant playing for Bowral also zone number one pennant.
Your favourite music?
Mental as anything
Your favourite food?
Lord of the rings
The best local bowler you have played with?
Josh you are recognised as the fastest driver on the green what do you say to players on the other end of the rink before you play these type shots?
Players need to keep eyes open or they could end up in a plaster cast.
In 2019 you won the Greenkeeper of the Year award. How did that feel?
Yes I was awarded the NSW Country Curator Groundsman Award, and from my perspective this was very humbling as across the state there are some exceptional green keepers.