Several Southern Highlands Rural Fire Service brigades have received a funding boost.
Federal Hume MP Angus Taylor has announced that 21 local RFS Brigades within his electorate had been successful in securing funding under the Federal Government's Volunteer Grants Program.
Five of the brigades are situated in the Southern Highlands.
- Fully recovered from COVID-19 Cade Turland offers himself for plasma research
- Vale Gina Fallon: Golden Oldies founder loses her battle with cancer
- Local leader: CWA doing great things and getting noticed
- A bear-y exciting search is underway at Southern Highlands Botanic Gardens
- The challenges of doing the HSC in the COVID-19 pandemic: A Southern Highlands students shares their thoughts
Mr Taylor thanked all volunteer firefighters who gave their time to protect our communities.
"Every bushfire season our volunteer firies are called upon to defend homes and saves lives," Mr Taylor said.
"It's hard work and it's unpaid, but their contribution is vital.
"This year has been a particularly tough time for many small communities in Hume. As I've visited towns after the bushfires and spoken to locals, I've heard so many stories of dedicated service and of community praise and gratitude for the countless homes that were saved by their skill, bravery and relentless hard work.
"We can never thank them enough for what they do each and every summer to protect our communities."
Mr Taylor said the funding coincided with National Volunteer Week which was all about acknowledging the important work volunteers play in communities across a range of areas.
"I'd like to thank all who volunteer, for their dedication and generosity," he said.
Mr Taylor said successful RFS brigades would receive grants of between $1,000 and $5,000 to purchase small equipment items.
Among the Southern Highlands brigades in the Hume electorate to secure funding are:
- Exeter Volunteer Rural Fire Brigade $2,260
- Marulan Rural Fire Brigade $3,280
- Penrose Rural Fire Brigade $2,700
- Wingello Rural Fire Brigade $3,280
- Woodlands Volunteer Rural Fire Brigade $3,050