As the gyms close in the Southern Highlands due to the COVID-19 crisis, one gym is imploring the community remains active.
Mittagong's Benton Gym may not be able to improve people's health and livelihood like they would on a regular basis, but they still want their communities members fit and healthy, mentally and physically.
Co-owner of Benton Gym Lizzy Garard said "staying active and healthy is vitally important at the moment."
"By doing both you enjoy the physical and mental benefits," she said.
"It will boost your immune system and reap the long-term advantages of exercise and healthy eating in years to come."
Benton Gym has come up with five excellent tips for people to practice whilst in self-isolation
Benton Gym's top five tips:
- Relaxing at home is great but it's wise to spend some time each day - at least 30 minutes - exercising to keep the body moving, strengthen muscles and enhancing flexibility. You can follow exercise programs easily online. Cleaning the house or clearing out clutter you no longer need are also forms of exercise.
- Avoid too much alcohol or foods high in sugar as these overload the immune system. Fresh produce will instead boost your immune system.
- Daily meditation is important - around 20 mins - to enhance positive thinking and a sense of calm. Deep breathing techniques help offset anxiety too and some sunshine and walks alone in the fresh air help as well.
- While at home it's important also to stay connected with friends and family online for support. But being at home is also a great time to focus on ourselves, going within and working on self-improvement.
- We've been forced to close our facility at Benton Gym in Braemar of course but we now hold daily online, interactive functional fitness classes for members for a reduced cost so our community can exercise at home. We look forward to opening our gym to members once again when it is safe to do so.
For more information about Benton Gym, call 0439 585 949 or visit www.bentongym.com
- We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we need to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe.