A raised platform of trachyte has been added to the sculpture of the famed possum painting that adorns the wall at Harper's Mansion.
The sculpture is based on a painting of a brush tailed possum that was painted by Louisa Atkinson, a local writer, poet and painter who lived in Oldbury House Sutton Forest.
The painting was done in 1860.
The "Jam Ladies", a small group which raise money for Harper's Mansion's garden through the sale of jams at the local school market, commissioned Arenaria to sculpt a sandstone replica of the possum complete with gum leaf.
The sculpture was placed in the garden at Harper's Mansion in late October 2019.
In February 2020 a trachyte base was installed by a master stonemason under the sculpture, to raise the sculpture and protect the base of the sculpture from rising damp through the soil.
Louisa Atkinson was a remarkable woman whose name has a long association with the Southern Highlands. Louisa's writing, art, journalism and storytelling made her one of the most influential women of her time.
To find out more about the possum and Harper's Mansion visit www.harpersmansion.com.au.