The Morton fire has been upgraded to 'Watch and Act' as of 4:02 pm January 10 2020.
The alert has been updated due to increased fire activity to the south of Wingello, Penrose and Bundanoon.
- A fire is burning in the area of Bundanoon, north of the Shoalhaven River.
- Fire activity is increasing in the area.
- The fire spread prediction map shows the potential fire spread and the communities that may come under threat from embers or fire fronts. Other surrounding areas may still come under threat if conditions change, or if fires breach containment lines.
- The fire has spread into the Southern Highlands from the Currowan fire.
- The Hume Highway may be closed at short notice. Drive to the conditions.
Bundanoon, Wingello, Penrose, Meryla, Exeter, Avoca, Fitzroy Falls and surrounding areas
- Monitor the changing conditions.
- Know what you will do if the fire threatens.
- Be alert for embers and spot fires in the area.
- Be alert for falling trees and branches.
- Local roads may be blocked or closed.
If you are threatened by fire
- Do not be in the path of the fire.
- Protect yourself from the heat of the fire. Wear protective clothing and footwear. Cover all exposed skin.
- If the fire impacts, seek shelter in a solid structure to protect yourself from the heat of the fire.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000).
- If you are in an area that has already been affected by fire, there may be small areas of active fire burning for some time. Be aware of the dangers of trees and branches falling.
- Stay up to date on bush fires in your area by checking the NSW RFS website, listening to your local radio station, or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- People with respiratory conditions who are affected by bush fire smoke should activate their health management plan and seek medical advice if necessary. Take precautions, such as staying indoors and closing windows.
- For information on road closures, check Live Traffic NSW. Roads may be closed without warning.
- Monitor weather conditions and weather warnings at Bureau of Meteorology.
The next update on this fire will be issued by 10/01/2020 18:00 or if the situation changes.