The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning for vigorous westerly winds on Tuesday.
Damaging winds, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90 km/h are possible for parts of the Southern Tablelands, Illawarra, South Coast and Central Tablelands this afternoon and evening.
Winds are expected to gradually ease late Tuesday or early Wednesday.
Locations which may be affected include Nowra, Bowral, Braidwood, Goulburn, Nerriga and Captains Flat.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.
The next severe weather warning will be issued by 5pm AEDT Tuesday.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.