An extensive search through the historical archives for the Bong Bong Picnic Race Club has shed light on several interesting items throughout the club's racing history.
Among the many interesting items that have come to light are a set of Stipendiary Stewards' reports from 1922 to 1930.
The reports offer a valuable and fascinating insight to not only the race meetings but the general social history of the time.
It was during that particular period of time that the club operated the course opposite Eridge Park Road.
The reports note many improvements to the course between the 1920s and 1930 which included the completion of the railing of the racetrack, at the first meeting there was only a rail down the inside of the straight, and also the completion of a secretary's office, jockeys' room and eventually a grandstand.
Initially there were 12 races held over a two-day carnival and a race ball which was enjoyed prior to the race meeting.
The stewards' notes reveal that the Bong Bong committee showed the club's various improvements which stated "This meeting now appears to be the leading Picnic Club in this state. The committee leave no stone unturned to make the meeting as attractive as possible and the beautiful silver trophies were remarked upon by all present."
However, the 1930 race meeting was the last to be held in that era.
The steward noted in his report "taking in to consideration the general depression that is being experienced by the country, I think the Club did wonderfully well to through as well as they did, as everything was against success, however thanks to the energy of the secretary Mr ED Bloomfield, the meeting was a great success both socially and from a racing point of view".
The club eventually wound up in 1933 as they struggled through the great depression. In 1959 the club reformed and restarted the picnic races and this year's hardworking committee are leaving "no stone unturned" to make the 2019 event as successful as ever.