Incidents of indecent assault, acts of indecency and other sexual offences have increased according to a recent report.
In the 12 month period leading up to June 2019 there were 77 incidents of sexual offence in the Wingecarribee area. This is more than double the 36 offences reported in 2018.
The Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research (BOCSAR) released a quarterly update on September 9.
Southern Highlands police officer in charge inspector John Klepczarek said the majority of these incidents were historical.
"After the Royal Commission into child sexual abuse many people were encouraged to report historical incidents," he said.
"People have come out and reported incidents from 20 to 30 years ago."
Inspector Klepczarek said many people just wanted to make an official record of what had happened to them.
"It's good they felt strong enough [to come forward]."
"[Sexual assault] is not a big issue as a whole in the Southern Highlands."
CHECK OUT: Australia Day nominations now being called
The inspector said the way BOCSAR works meant the historical reports were recorded in this quarter's statistics.
One murder was recorded in the 12 months leading up to June 2019 compared with zero the previous four years.
A woman was charged with murder earlier this year. The case is currently before the court.
Other major crimes which increased in the region included robbery, break and enter and theft from a retail store.
"We definitely have some of the lowest crime rates in the state," Inspector Klepczarek said.
"The Southern Highlands is a safe place to work, live and play."