The first round of the Moss Vale Motor Group Challenge produced some upset results but over the next five weeks the leader board could change several times.
Ken Looke and Brian Payne defeated Bill Meredith and Gordon Lewis 31-19 to go to the front after round one.
Looke and Payne always had control of this match and made their move early in the game going to a 14-3 lead after six ends and they made their bid for victory certain when they picked up seven shots on the 12th end to lead 26-9. At the finish had a 12 shot lead.
One could predict that with the results of other matches a interesting five weeks are ahead.
- John Edmonds, Don Coleman defeated Brian Elliott, Barry Werfel 29-17.
- Kevin Stafford, Carl Spilker defeated Josh Woodcock, Dan Ticehurst 23-17
- Kevin Jones, Bob Crowley defeated Don Weller, Keith Edwards 24-17.
- Graham Hunt, Bob Edwards defeated Brian Porter, Peter Morales 20-17
- Bill Pope, John Cummins defeated Kel Limbrick, David Riddell 29-22.
- Robin Staples, Mike Holmwood defeated Richard Denman, Mick Flynn 27-23.
Manager Brett Wardle from Moss Vale Motor Group presented $100 to the first game winners and said he gave his support to the six week tournament.