On Wednesday, April 3, three matches of the first round were played at Bowral Bowling Club.
Dan Ticehurst and Don Chapman defeated John Edmonds and Gordon Lewis 27- 13 to move a step closer to the title.
Read Further: Mountain Bike National Championships results
The first nine ends were of a high standard with Edmonds and Lewis leading 9-6. It was all Ticehurst and Chapman in the second half and they came away easily for a 14 shot win.
Graham Hunt and Clive Neutze defeated Peter Watson and Bob Edwards 19-11.
Hunt and Neutze were always in front, ending with an eight shot win.
Robin Staples and Mike Holmwood defeated Owen Williams and David Coltman 20-17.
The scores were locked at 10-10 after 11 ends. Staples and Holmwood then pulled to a 20-13 lead. Williams and Coltman won the last two ends but they fell three shots short.
- Kel Limbrick, John Lewis and John Cummins defeated Walter Gibbs, John Fleming and Bill Pope 28-8;
- Chris Forrester and Mick Flynn defeated J Cassidy and Peter Morales 18-17;
- Carl Spilker and Ashley Lewis defeated Eric Willacy and Paul Leverett 30-12;
- Ted McPhee and Jim Starkey defeated Bruce Hall and Barry Werfel 26-16;
- Joe O'Donnell and Dennis Beatty defeated Rick Reynolds and Don Coleman 23-22;
- Richard Denman and Brian Payne defeated Neville Tanner and Harold Wall 18-17.