It was another successful season for Mittagong junior Lions and one that was proudly celebrated.
The club recently held two presentation events to cap off a great year.
The mini and mod awards day, held at the Mittagong Sportsground had a carnival atmosphere with a jumping castle an barbecue for the players.
Lions secretary Billy Hayward said the kids turned out in force wearing green and gold.
“The kids had a ball and the parents were over the moon with how the [teams] had gone this year,” he said.
“We’ll be bigger and better in 2019.” On October 20, the club held its international presentation evening, with Parramatta Eels players and former Lion Daniel Alvaro attending to hand out some awards.
“The juniors in 2018 were very very successful.”
Earlier this year, Mittagong 14Bs and the under-15/16 teams were crowned Group 6 premiers.
Hayward said the pathways program continued to grow and provide opportunities for young players to make the step up into seniors grades. He said the club hoped to field three girls league tag teams in the 2019 season.
The number of volunteers with the club also increased this year and Hayward said their contribution had been invaluable to the Lions’ success.
“I can’t thank the volunteers enough.”
Hayward, who is also involved with the senior teams, was awarded club person of the year and said he was “surprised and very honoured” by the accolade.
- Mini Player: Sam Francis
- Mod Player: Jacob Birta
- International Player: David Eccleston
- Girls League Tag Player: Emma Keeley
- Mod Highest point scorer: Jett Cornwell
- International Highest point scorer: Liam Bayliss
- Girls League Tag Highest point scorer: Ebony Monro
- Barry Butterfield Jnr. Encouragement: Riley Schmidt
- Barry Butterfield Snr. Encouragement: Brohdi Fleeton
- Mini Rookie: Kevin Reynolds
- Mod Rookie: Jayden Sorouni
- International Rookie: Cameron Boase
- Girls League Tag Rookies: Eliza Youkhana and Katie Vincent
- Dasher Dolaghan Memorial Trophy: Jasper Murphy
- Phil Stafford Memorial Trophy: David Eccleston
- Mini team: Under-9 Bronze
- Mod team: Under-12As
- International team: Under-15/16s
- Girls League Tag team: Under-14s
- Team Encouragement: Under-8s
- Club Person of the year: Billy Hayward
Love local news? Sign up to our weekly newsletter