A respected charity founder's debt has been wiped after the federal government quickly stepped in to fix a funding crisis after community outrage.
Father Chris Riley's Youth Off The Streets had been ordered to repay $630,000, but Education Minister Dan Tehan said on Tuesday that had now been taken care of.
It comes less than 24 hours after news broke of Father Riley's financial crisis.
Mr Tehan said his schools, which care for vulnerable teenagers, would also have funding secured for next year.
But there has been no resolution beyond 2019 and Mr Tehan said the government would be looking further into the "unique" issue.
"These students aren't accessing government schools, they are accessing his independent schools," Mr Tehan told reporters.
"This was the first time that this issue had been raised with me."
The schools had funding cut from $17,000 per student to $8000 due to a new federal Education Department formula
Father Riley said he had been "amazed" by the response to his plight and thanked Mr Tehan for fixing the problem in the short-term.
But he stressed the need for on-going funding, with Mr Tehan promising to visit Father Riley's schools in Sydney on Friday.
"Our kids have no voice, they don't have parents to scream and yell ... me and my staff are the ones who have to scream and yell," Father Riley told reporters.
"We do keep opening new schools on a regular basis - because we are in need - and we will discuss that with the minister."
Father Riley has an Order of Australia for his work with disadvantaged and homeless youths and in 2012 was nominated as NSW Australian of the Year.
Australian Associated Press