The Australian Dental Association (ADA) is encouraging Highlanders to take a holistic approach to their oral health during Dental Health Week.
The theme for this year’s Dental Health Week is ‘watch your mouth’.
The message is for people to focus not just on their teeth and gums, but their whole mouth in order to maintain good oral health.
Through a few simple steps people can improve their oral health:
• Brush your teeth and gums twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
• Clean in between teeth at least once a day with floss or an interdental brush
• Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit sugar intake (especially sugar sweetened
beverages like soft drink and sports drinks)
• Drink fluoridated tap water
• Regularly visit the dentist for check-ups and preventive treatment.
National Dental Week runs until Sunday, August 12.