From February 27, 2017 all home care packages have been provided to individual older Australians pending an assessment to determine eligibility, rather than the previous method where packages were awarded to approved providers via a tender process.
This change now gives recipients the ability to choose a provider that can provide services according to individual needs.
It also means recipients can also change their providers if they are looking for a better fit for their needs or they move to another location.
Once a new provider has been chosen the remaining funds (less the exit fee) will be transferred to the new provider.
In summary, home care package recipients wishing to change providers need to:
- Notify their existing provider they want to cease care
- Agree on the date services are to cease
- Identify and source a new provider
- Reactivate their home care services referral code by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or online through the my Aged Care Client portal within 56 days of cessation date
- Notify the existing provider of the details of the new provider so unspent funds can be transferred
- Provide consent for information to be transferred from existing provider to the new provider
Interchange Australia is an approved provider of all levels of home care packages.
We have been providing services to eligible older Australian for over 30 years.
We have a large team of workers dedicated to providing quality care to our clients.
- This article was written by Interchange Australia consultant Anne-Marie Kennedy. Interchange Australia provides a wide range of services for people with disability, older people and families with a child with autism. For information about services and support available go to the website www.interchangeau.org, www.facebook.com/interchangeau or call 1300 112 334.