The Bureau of Meteorology issued a severe weather warning for damaging winds on Sunday morning.
Winds averaging 60 to 70 kilometres per hour with peak gusts of 90 kilometres per hour are expected.
Winds are expected to ease on Sunday afternoon.
The National Parks Service of NSW recommends that people consider postponing back country travel until conditions improve.
Locations which may be affected include Bowral, High Range, Nowra, Batemans Bay, Eden, Braidwood, Bega, Moruya Heads, Katoomba, Goulburn, Cooma, Bombala, Thredbo, Perisher Valley, Cabramurra, Mt Ginini and Nimmitabel.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.
The next update will be issued by the Bureau of Meteorology at 5pm on Sunday.