Bowral’s junior athletes continued their impressive recent form at the Zone Championships in Wollongong over the weekend.
Forty-three athletes competed in 150 different events at the championships.
The team brought home a huge collection, wit 22 gold, 21 silver and 24 bronze medals.
Ciara Longworth and Ruby Blake led the charge for the Bowral Little Athletics Club team.
The pair won nine events between them and each broke a zone record at the carnival along the way.
This year’s medal haul of 67 represented a significant jump on the 39 won last year, with strong depth now emerging in Bowral’s younger age divisions across the sprints, jumps and throws disciplines.
Training groups at the club's Eridge Park track have ballooned in size this season, as athletes work hard to sharpen their skills in preparation for club nights and championship events.
The club almost doubled its team size for the zone championships compared to 2016.
From the team, 25 of its athletes have now automatically qualified for the Regional Championships, scheduled for Wollongong in February.
Medal winners over the weekend were:
- Matthew Arregui (under 10s) 70m silver, 100m bronze, 200m bronze
- Ruby Bagnell (under 12s) 60m hurdles bronze, discus bronze
- Evie Blake (under 7s) 500m bronze
- Ruby Blake (under 9s) 60m hurdles gold, 100m gold, 400m gold
- Maya Bos-Woods (under 14s) high jump gold, javelin silver, long jump bronze, discus bronze
- Owen Cragg (under 10s) 1100m walk gold, 800m bronze
- Matthew Elliott (under 17s) javelin gold, shotput gold
- Eli Elphick (under 9s) 800m silver
- Caelan Granger (under 9s) long jump gold, discus bronze
- Oscar Harris (under 9s) 800m bronze
- Jasmine Irving (under 17s) shotput silver
- Ava Jones (under 15s) high jump gold, triple jump silver
- Benji Lee-Billinghurst (under 10s) discus gold, 400m gold, long jump bronze
- Ciara Longworth (under 17s) 100m gold, 200m gold, 400m gold, 800m gold, 1500m gold, 3000m gold
- Jamie Malyn (under 9s) 100m silver, 400m silver, 60m hurdles bronze
- James Murray (under 12s) shotput bronze
- Cain Reko (under 9s) high jump bronze, shotput bronze
- Isaac Reko (under 7s) 50m gold, shotput silver
- Jack Rendell (under 10s) shotput gold
- Kallan Rendell (under 8s) shotput silver
- Millie Sears (under 7s) 50m silver
- Scarlett Sears (under 10s) high jump gold, long jump silver, 60m hurdles silver
- Bela Seville (under 11s) 400m bronze, shotput bronze
- Lilea Seville (under 9s) long jump silver, 400m bronze, 60m hurdles bronze
- Jasmine Shakeshaft (under 14s) 3000m gold, 800m silver, long jump silver
- Rory Shedden (under 7s) shotput bronze
- Pearl Stravoskoufis (under 8s) long jump silver, 70m bronze
- Abbey Wallace (under 12s) discus silver, high jump bronze
- Sabella Watson (under 7s) long jump gold, 70m silver, 200m silver, shotput bronze
- Charlotte Withers (under 9s) 70m silver, discus silver, long jump bronze
- Junior boys team - 4x100m relay bronze
Bowral Little Athletics Club runs club events at Eridge Park, Burradoo every Friday night between October and March.
Tiny tots, under-6s and under-7s compete from 5pm, all other age groups up to under-17s from 5.30pm onwards.
People can get in touch through the Facebook page or at http://bowrallittleathletics.org.au for more information.
People can also visit club members at the admin desk at Eridge Park each Friday afternoon.
Registrations are still open for this season and can be done online at http://www.lansw.com.au.