After the driest winter in 15 years NSW faces challenging conditions as bushfire season approaches.
Wollondilly MP Jai Rowell has encouraged all residents who live near bushland and areas prone to grass fires to start preparing for the season ahead.
On September 16 and 17 the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) will host a ‘Get Ready Weekend’.
There are a few simple steps residents can take to ensure they are fire ready, including:
- trimming overhanging trees and shrubs;
- mowing your lawn and removing all the cut grass;
- removing flammable materials from around your home (e.g. door mats, wood
- piles, mulch, leaves, paint, outdoor furniture);
- clearing and removing all the debris and leaves from gutters; and
- ensuring you have a hose or hoses that can cover the perimeter of your home.
Visit https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/resources/bush-fire-survival-plan to download a bushfire survival plan.