Anyone that is a carer knows it can be a highly demanding and stressful responsibility, and no one is expected to do it without some help.
Just like the loved ones they care for, carers also need support and attention to maintain their own health and well-being.
Interchange Australia provides short-term accommodation at Springett House in Burradoo.
This service allows carers to rest easy knowing their loved ones are benefiting from the care and support we provide in a safe, nurturing environment.
The benefits of short term accommodation for carers include:
1. Energy – To be effective as a carer and in your busy life, you must take time to re-energise;
2. Getting away from it all – Getting away from the caring situation for even a few hours can give you a renewed sense of purpose;
3. Renewal and Relaxation – Taking a walk, strolling through the shops, having lunch with a friend, or just doing whatever brings calm and happiness to you;
4. Identity– Remember to maintain your sense of self. You are important, too!;
5. Perspective – Time away from your caring role allows you to see more clearly and keep things in proper perspective. You might even think of better ways of doing things in the future;
6. Engagement – Social isolation can be a huge issues for carers. Please take time to engage with your friends and family; and
7. Pleasure – Remember that you have the right to enjoy life, and in doing so you have no reason to feel guilty.
You Deserve a Break!
It is important to remember that you can’t do it all.
Be realistic with how much you can do, for your sake and for your loved ones.
- This article was written by an Interchange Australia Consultant Julie Doran. Interchange Australia provides a wide range of services for people with disability, older people and families with a child with autism. Further information: Interchange Australia’s services, www.interchangeau.org, www.facebook.com/interchangeau or phone 1300 112 334.