A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued.
The Bureau of Meteorology is warning that heavy rainfall and damaging winds will affect parts of NSW, including the Central Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains and parts of Hunter, Illawarra, Southern Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes, Riverina and Upper Western Forecast Districts.
The bureau said severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds in the area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Nowra, Orange, Goulburn, Moree, Dubbo and Lightning Ridge.
The State Emergency Service advises that people in these areas should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The below video was taken in Moss Vale at the showgrounds at 2pm on Saturday, December 2.