Rebel Wilson's ban on Fairfax Media

Rebel Wilson, pictured during her defamation trial in June, has banned Fairfax Media from attending her promotional tour of Pitch Perfect 3. Photo: AAP
Rebel Wilson, pictured during her defamation trial in June, has banned Fairfax Media from attending her promotional tour of Pitch Perfect 3. Photo: AAP

In the middle of her campaign to promote her latest movie, Rebel Wilson has placed a blanket ban on Fairfax Media.

The Australian actor, 37, who is currently in her home town of Sydney ahead of the Pitch Perfect 3 premiere on Wednesday night, refused a sit-down interview with the publication, banned it from attending the red carpet and cancelled staff invitations to the premiere.

Wilson and Universal Pictures did not respond to the publication's numerous requests for a reason behind the censorship.

However, it is believed that the Bridesmaids star is unhappy that a request she made to Fairfax Media CEO Greg Hywood in 2015 was revealed during her defamation trial against Bauer Media in May.

Wilson had asked Mr Hywood to remove an article that displayed her age and, as she described in court, an "unflattering" photo of her. The article was not removed.

After informing Fairfax Media of the censorship last week, an insider said: "Obviously there is some history with the cast of the film and at present it is being requested that Fairfax do not attend.

"It is against [Fairfax Media] as a brand in terms of what has gone on at the court case ... and there is a number of things that have happened which representatives from Fairfax in terms of testifying against Rebel ... it's nothing personal against ... any journalist."

No representative of Fairfax Media "testified" during the trial at Melbourne's Supreme Court, but the publication did respond to a court order to produce Wilson's correspondence with Mr Hywood.

"We are disappointed that Ms Wilson refuses to treat Fairfax journalists professionally," a Fairfax Media spokesperson said.

"Fairfax responded to a subpoena as part of legal proceedings she commenced. We were compelled by the court to do so."

In September, Bauer Media was ordered to pay Wilson a record $4.56 million after a series of articles published in their titles including Woman's Day and OK! were found to be defamatory against the star.

Bauer will appeal, which Wilson has called "gross".

Apart from Bauer, Wilson or Universal would not be drawn on what other outlets she would be restricting during her Australian promotional tour. However, Network Ten, AAP, Pedestrian, and Yahoo! have all been granted access.

This story Rebel Wilson's ban on Fairfax Media first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.