Northbound lanes of the Hume Highway in Berrima are still closed.
Crews have continued to work through the night to ensure the northbound lanes of the Hume Motorway across Wingecarribbe River Bridge at Berrima are reopened as soon as possible after a truck crash and fire on Wednesday morning.
Roads and Maritime Services Executive Director Regional and Freight Roy Wakelin-King said Roads and Maritime and NSW Fire and Rescue crews had been working through the day and night to address the impact caused when the truck rolled and caught alight, blocking the corridor.
“A contraflow remains in place on the southbound carriageway with one lane open in each direction under traffic control and at a reduced speed limit,” Mr Wakelin-King said.
“What this means is all Hume Highway traffic is being diverted onto the southbound carriageway with one lane operating in each direction.
“Roads and Maritime engineers are on site assessing the road surfaces and bridge structures damaged in the incident.”
Mr Wakelin-King said there has been extensive damage to the northbound bridge.
Inspections are being carried out to determine the safest and most efficient way to reopen the bridge to all motorists.
“Emergency services and traffic crews remain on site while inspections are carried out with the aim of reopening the bridge as soon as possible,” he said.
“While everything will be done to get this bridge reopened as quickly as possible, safety is the main priority and if required, the bridge will remain closed until around noon on Friday, October 13.”
Motorists have been advised to exercise caution and allow about 15 minutes extra travel time.
Heavy vehicle operators with loads more than 3.5 metres wide are unable to use the contraflow due to width restrictions.