- The bangers are better in Bowral
- Bowral butchery crowned state sausage king
- Bowral butchery gives competition the chop
A Bowral butcher has had a clean sweep at the Australian Meat Industry Council’s annual region awards.
Hot Canary Gourmet Meats won awards across all categories at the NSW and ACT Sausage King and Best Butchers Burger region competition at Wollongong TAFE on Thursday, August 10.
Hot Canary was the only butcher to win awards in all eight categories, out of eight region competitors.
Categories included traditional Australian beef, traditional Australian pork, poultry, Australian lamb/open class, continental and gourmet/open class as well as best beef burger and best gourmet burger.
Hot Canary owner Daniel Speranza said he hoped to reach the national awards for the third year in a row.
“We’ve got eight shots to win at the state competition [in September],” Mr Speranza said.
“I’d really like to win gourmet sausage king at the national awards, it’s the most broad category.”
The sausages and burgers were scrutinised in the uncooked stage on internal and external appearance, texture, bloom and consistency.
The meat was then carefully cooked on a BBQ and judged on cooked appearance, distribution of texture and ingredients and flavour.
Mr Speranza encouraged his butcher peers to get to work on their entries for next year’s competition.
“I hope it [my win] is a push for other butchers to enter,” he said.
“I want us to push each other.”
Eighteen regions across NSW and the ACT compete in the AMIC’s annual competition.
The first place winners from each region proceed to the state final to determine the best sausage and burger makers in the state.
The state final will be held at the Tamworth Growers Market on Saturday, September 23.
The state winners will then proceed to the national Sausage King finals in Melbourne in February 2018.
Awards for Hot Canary Gourmet Meats:
- 1st in Traditional Australian Beef – Thick
- 2nd in Traditional Australian Beef – Thin
- 1st in Traditional Australian Pork
- 1st in Poultry – Chicken Bratwurst
- 2nd in Poultry – Chicken, prosciutto, rocket and goats cheese
- 3rd in Poultry – Chicken, sweet chilli and basil
- 1st in Australian Lamb/Open – Lamb, maple, mint and rosemary
- 2nd in Australian Lamb/Open – Moroccan lamb with sultanas and apricots
- 1st in Continental – Fresh Spanish chorizo with hot paprika
- 1st in Gourmet/Open – Pork toulouse with mushrooms and white wine
- 2nd in Gourmet/Open – Beef, wild mushrooms and roasted garlic
- 1st in Best Butchers Beef Burger – Beef, bacon and smoky cheeseburger
- 2nd in Best Butchers Beef Burger – Traditional beef and vegetable burger
- 1st in Best Butchers Gourmet/Open Burger – Crumbed chicken brat burge
- Equal 2nd in Best Butchers Gourmet/Open Burger – Beef, wild mushroom and roasted garlic burger